Race Tales: Celebrating Ten Years of NASCAR Memories (2001)

Here, in its unedited entirety, is "Race Tales," a story I wrote in late 2001. On this page, you will find out more about my NASCAR fandom than you ever would care to know; it surprises me in hindsight! I have yet to revise it at all since then, but while I might update it later on, I felt the need to post it in the meantime. All 23 segments are included and presented to be read from top-to-bottom, including ten race reviews and the original side-notes written to aid its flow.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Days of Thunder

In late 1991, most likely after the DieHard 500, I went with my Mom and my younger brother Miles to see "Days of Thunder" at the Campanil Theater, a venerable cinema in my hometown of Antioch, California. Although the movie was released the year before, the Campanil’s tight budget prevented them from showing films released more recently. At any rate, Miles and I were both awestruck with the movie, featuring Tom Cruise as a devil-may-care driver entering the competitive Winston Cup Series, struggling to succeed against all odds. The intense racing scenes made a huge impression on me, making me hope the Winston Cup races on television would be just as exciting. Along the way, the movie also featured such actual drivers as Rusty Wallace, Harry Gant and Neil Bonnett, further expanding the list of drivers I would come to recognize while watching Winston Cup racing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home